Monday 6 September 2010

What is meant to be will be

Went to see Prof Wagstaff today for usual 3 weekly check.All OK,bloods fine so he advised staying on lower dose as I still have a slight cough.I had to read and sign an updated form to carry on with the trial.When I started the trial 20 months ago I was drawn to take the usual chemo drug,capecitabine on its own and others had cape. and sutent together.I was really disappointed as  I wanted everything I could get to zap this thing and felt that I was having second best,but that was how the cards were dealt.The cape worked well for 7 months then the tumours progressed which showed that it was no longer working so I switched to the trial drug,Sutent which I am still taking 28 weeks later.2 weeks after I started Sutent the trial was withdrawn as there was no difference in the results between the cape alone and the combined drugs but as i had only had the single drug I am still being monitored.The people who took both suffered bad side effects and are back on chemo so I was actually lucky to have drawn the single drugs.Sometimes it is better to go with the flow and accept what is given to us.
Went to see our grandaughter and had a long cuddle while her parents went shopping.I can never express how grateful I am to the people fighting my corner and keeping me alive for the last 3 1/2 years.Without treatment the survival time for my type of cancer is 1 year so I reckon Im one lucky woman,I have seen 3 grandchildren thanks to them.

1 comment:

  1. Makes my heart sing to read these words Rose. Thanks for sharing them with us.

    David x

    ReplyDelete